Monday, June 23, 2008

Sewing Matters

Managed a good(ish) walk yesterday and so was able to settle in the afternoon to a bit of sewing - did these 2 hearts - kind of made them up as I went along (a bit like my life).

So many ladies on the Shabby Chic Cafe Forum have bought sewing boxes and done wonderful things with them, painting and lining them. I have a sewing cupboard which was made by my grandfather in the 1930s - I know it was then because Mum says she remembers having to go out to buy the French Polish for it! The cupboard is on wheels and is lined with baize, it has a lift up lid and a little pull-out tray. From what I can see, it has been made by recycling some older bits of wood BUT I don't think I can bear to paint it, the top has a lovely glossy polished finish to it ...
Inside one of the doors are wooden pegs beautifully made and arranged to hold all the spools of thread - some are the old fashioned wooden ones ...

Talking of old sewing "bits", here is a photo of some Beatles material bought by Mum at Hitchin Market well over 40 years ago, I guess ... would that be right? Mum had it stored in pristine condition and found it for me not that long ago ...

It's clear who's who!

5 comments:

Lace hearts said...

What a lovely sewing box - I wouldn't touch it. And the fabric is incredible. I'd be very tempted to frame it, but then again it's probably rather valuable.

Sandie said...

Thanks Lace ... what a great idea about the fabric ... now there's a thought.

angel said...

Sewing Box is Scrummy Lishus, Love it.
The Beatles thingy is a Winner, I think its probably worth a fortune.
Love reading your Bloggie blog blog, keep up the good work.
Luvnhugs X

Lace hearts said...

Definitely worth a fortune - I'm sure of it. But nicer to keep it in the family. It would certainly be a talking point if framed.

Joanne Brown said...

I agree that you should leave the sewing box just as it is. How fabulous to have something that your grandfather made! I'm sure it has great sentimental value!! And I bet that the fabric is worth a fortune!! You'll have to take it to the Antiques Roadshow :)