Sunday, June 1, 2008

Genealogy

From time to time I would like to add a little genealogy for family members reading this blog. This is a photograph taken in 1898 of my great grandfather Harry Seymour aged 25. Now I wonder who looks like him?


Harry was born in Hoxton, London on 8 July 1872 to Sarah Seymour (born 1847 Chinnor, Oxon), a domestic servant working for Arthur and Eliza Penn in Kensington. On the birth certificate Harry’s father was “unknown”, but it seems that, as Sarah worked for the Penns for about 30 years from at least April 1871, then Arthur Penn, who was Clerk to the Bankruptcy Board, was quite likely to be his father.

In 1984 Harry’s son wrote “at the age of 26 Harry had been in one of the very early Power Stations (Kensington Court) for about 7 years and it was said of him that he was a very clever engineer, even though as a boy of 12 years, he had followed a plough, but he got a chance to get on when he was 18 years old due to help from his Uncle Bill Urry who was a cabinet maker of some repute at the time.”

48 Kensington Court is one of London’s oldest generating stations and the north facade still bears the inscription “Electric Lighting Station”. It ceased operation in 1900 when greater demand meant electricity supply was taken over by the bigger Wood Lane power station.

In 1901, 28 year old Harry was living with his wife, Jane Selina (26), their children Ethel Selina (1)and Harry (3 months) at 40 Abingdon Road, Kensington.

The rather stern looking people in this 1898 photo are the family of Jane Allingham (Harry’s wife and my great grandmother) who lived in East Moseley, Surrey.

From L to R: John Allingham born 1845 West Molesey (Kingston upon Thames district), Jane Allingham b1875, Kate Allingham b1868, Jane Selina Redman b1844 Leonard Stanley, Glos and sitting, Lena Allingham b1885

Here is a certificate presented to Jane Allingham by the Girls Friendly Society on the occasion of her marriage in August 1898. Imagine that today!


Now if only I could have access to a time machine, what questions I would ask!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This is absolutely wonderful! One of my great regrets in life is I don't have a photo of my grandmother - neither does my mother, we find it very sad.
I imagine there were many maids who had their masters babies - makes me incredibly sad to see how they may have been treated.