Monday, June 9, 2008

Eric Bibb

We went to see the wonderful Eric Bibb at the Theatre Royal, Bath last night. What a treat to see and hear him again. He is such a delightful elegant man and a talented singer/songwriter and guitar player. He played 2 of my favourite songs “Diamond Days” and “The Cape”and introduced his daughter Yana - it is amazing to think of so much talent in one family, handed down no doubt by Eric's father Leon, an American Folk singer and friend of Paul Robeson.

I was introduced to Eric's music by my special friend,
Mrs Dooberydonks (another anonymity ploy!). I just loved his music the first time I heard it. We first saw him a few years' ago at The Cheese and Grain in Frome where, like a groupie, I queued to have my CD signed. I felt I just HAD to say what a wonderful concert it had been and could I shake his hand? “No ...” he said in his deep velvety voice. “Oh no” I thought “I must have offended him in some way”. He stood up, turned to me and gave me a huge bear hug “I just wanna give you a H-U-U-G”.

Unfortunately no photography was allowed last night, but I took this rather blurry photo of him last summer.



Last night he was supported by a lovely singer called Emily Maguire with a beautiful voice. I’ve been Googling to find out more about her:

“In her mid-twenties, she gave up her London flat and moved to a ‘Tin, Wood and Potato Sack Shack’ in the Australian bush, where she has been living and working ever since. The shack, which cost just under AS$1,000 to construct and furnish, is built on nine tree trunks, with walls made from wood, potato sacks and 100-year-old corrugated iron recycled from the local village post office. The furniture is either hand-made or recycled: the fireplace is made from a 44-gallon oil drum while the spiral staircase is hand carved from 200-year-old timber.” Lots more about her music on her website: http://www.emilymaguire.com/index.html

No comments: